Broadcast recently hosted a 'Building Big' training day where we invited Terry Virgo to share from his experience building and leading Newfrontiers about how we can build big churches and movements. In this episode of the podcast, we bring you the sevent of a series of excerpts from the day, where Terry talks about how to transition leaders.
To subscribe to the Broadcast Church Planting Podcast, click the link below and then follow the instructions, open the podcast in iTunes and subscribe.
Listen to the Audio
Read the Notes
How Do You Recognise the Different Capacities of Different Leaders?
- People change and their gifting can grow - sometimes people grow with the church.
- Other times there are people who have the gift of starting from nothing, and other who can then take it over and have a capacity to grow it.
- We tend to be too numbers-conscious rather than gift-conscious.
- We should highly prize the gift of starting something and it can be better to invite people to do that again rather than getting stuck as it grows.
- It is possible to prize small-church values in the wrong way in a growing church.
- Some people are not built to make the jump to something bigger.
- We should be open to people with specialist gifts being brought in from other spheres.
What Do You Think Are Big Church Values?
- Being here for the city without losing the closeness of the church.
- The church gathering is more than an evangelistic meeting - we do want to win the lost, but this isn't the main reason that we gather.
- We mainly gather to worship God and meet with him.
- All sorts of things happen then we gather. The glory of God is at stake.
- An over-pastoral emphasis can become too cosy.
- We are not the only answer to God reaching the city - he is working through others too.
- It is about being broader in your vision. Help people be disciples in the city.
- Have a vision that gets into other worlds.
- Team is very important.